This coming Sinulog 2018, a strict ban on drinking liquor and loud parties within a 300-meter radius from the grand parade route will be implemented.
As per the Sinulog committee, the ban should not stop the guests from having fun. Entertainment for both Cebuanos and tourists coming to Cebu City to witness the festival can go to Kalingawan sa Plaza.
“The ban brings back attention to the essence of the Sinulog, which is a dance of worship for Cebu’s Patron Senyor Santo Niño, on January 21. But a Philippine fiesta is not complete without the fiesta food and the fun,” said Sinulog Executive Committee chairman Councilor Dave Tumulak.
“Kalingawan sa Plaza,’ the Sinulog fair at Plaza Independencia, is thus a major fiesta component. There will be a variety of food stalls, inflatables and a tartanilla ride for the kids, and nightly entertainment during the Sinulog week,” he said.
The following is the schedule for the nightly entertainment:
- January 12— Launching program of the Sinulog Festival Queen, Sinulog Idol, and Sinulog Dance Crew
• January 13 – Cultural Show by Department of Education Cebu Province
• January 14 – Cultural Show by Cebu Technological University (CTU) and Indiana Aerospace University
• January 15 – Cultural Show by University of the Visayas and University of Cebu
• January 16 – Cultural Show by Mandaue City College and Mandaue School for the Arts
• January 17 – Cultural Show by Salazar Institute of Technology and Cebu Doctors’ University
• January 17 – Cultural Show by Department of Education Cebu City
• January 17 – Music and Comedy Night by Flexi Finance
• January 18 – Cultural show by University of San Carlos
• January 18 – Variety show by 24/7
• January 18 – Sky Night by Skycable
• January 19 – Cultural Show by University of Southern Philippines Foundation, University of San Jose-Recoletos, and Cebu Institute of Technology University
• January 19 – 6 Cycle Mind and Banda ni Kleggy c/o San Miguel Corp.
• January 20 – Sinulog Idol 2018 Grand Finals
• January 20 – Franco and Coke Studio Artists with Coca Cola Philippines
• January 21 – IPI Night
• January 21 – Parokya ni Edgar with Globe Telecom
Besides, Plaza Independecia is outside the 300-meter radius, Tumulak said.
“Imagine the fun of a 6 Cycle Mind, Franco and Parokya ni Edgar concerts at Kalingawan sa Plaza,” Tumulak said.
More than the festive barrio fiesta atmosphere at Plaza Independencia, he pointed out that the place is a short walk from the Basilica del Santo Niño and the Magellan’s Cross.
Both Cebuanos and their visitors will be treated with the presence of heritage sites especially Fort San Pedro. It connects us better with our history, that of the Sinulog and who we are, he added.
Cebu City had become the first Christian community in South East Asia after the explorer Ferdinand Magellan arrived and baptized some 800 Cebuanos in 1521. The image of Senyor Santo Niño was Magellan’s baptismal gift to Cebu’s Queen Juana. It is now the oldest religious relic in the country.
With rise of the ASEAN community, Cebu can claim as the region’s cradle of Christianity.
In addition, the arrival of Magellan gave Cebu a place in world history since Spanish expedition achieved the first circumnavigation of the world.